mast2

Saturday, November 04, 2006

are you a grown-up?

yellow

Hunting for acorns on the Capitol's lawn, the squirrels are out. The hats are out; the scarves are out; the mittens aren't out yet, but will be soon. Big winter coats are out as are big cups of cocoa and coffee (no more smoothie weather here!). The sun is out and I am out, walking through it all and the giant leaves littering the ground. I really like November, and I really like long days when I can walk slowly.

It was a good day, yesterday, full of slow-walking things like co-op grocery shopping, white cheddar cheese, magazine-clipping prayers, bread baking, cherry flavored pipes, studying in pajamas, long walks and talks while dark is coming, nibbling soybeans with friends, laughing with coffee, watching Sex and the City and South Park with Adam. Oh, I love the weekends!

Me and two of my old roommates went to dinner together last night. I can't believe it was just under three months ago that we lived in the Yellow Castle on Gorham. It seems very far away. So much has changed. I pronounce things differently. I say "car-a-mel" instead of "carm-el." I have shorter hair, now. I spend a lot more money on coffee. I'm busier. More independent. More social. More boyfriended. I have a cat. I cook more. Jog less. I bike places. I budget. I'm in debt. I'm starting to learn how to keep my room clean. I've grown fond of rye bread, learned how to make a good cup of green tea (quality tea bags- you aren't supposed to use boiling water not let it steep more than two minutes). I have a crock pot. And use it.

If this is what growing-up is, I like it. Mostly.

What is growing-up? Are you a grown-up?

8 Comments:

At 05 November, 2006 00:21, Anonymous d-o said...

....or, as some would say, a "grup"...

 
At 05 November, 2006 09:30, Anonymous Aunt Gretchen said...

Your life has certainly been full of a lot of pleasent, little changes since the Yellow Castle! I like "car-a-mel". I think it's time for me to make that change-over, too! (It's never to late). I'm curious about the quality cup of green tea....no boiling water??? Really? And Crock pots are the BEST! Especially in November!

 
At 05 November, 2006 09:35, Anonymous A. Gretchen said...

Oh, and in response to "Are you a grown-up?"...Hmmmm.....Some days I think so and others, I don't. Today I feel my age...46. I guess that's a bit too grown up. Eeeks.

 
At 05 November, 2006 14:41, Blogger keely steger said...

I used to think that your experiences make you a grown-up. Once you're married, have a baby, buy a house, that makes you a grown-up. I have 2 of those 3 things and I still usually feel like a high-schooler. Whenever I see people my age on TV I think they seem so much older than me. I think it's all in ones attitude, and I'm happy being a highschooler who does some grown-up things.

 
At 05 November, 2006 21:01, Blogger â™¥briANNA said...

Am I a grown up? Deffinately not! But I do enjoy the process. :-)

 
At 12 November, 2006 06:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

 
At 12 November, 2006 06:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

 
At 12 November, 2006 06:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

 

Post a Comment

<< Home