mast2

Thursday, September 07, 2006

my first day of school

delicious

For the record, I HAD heard about Barrett. When I was logging into my handy-dandy UW website, it was up in the little campus news area. I skimmed the article- partially because I was lazy, mostly due to disinterest. I have a limited amount of space in my brain and a limited amount of stuff to cram into it. 9/11 conspiracy theory is not high on the list, nor are articles about controversy surrounding someone teaching it.

I had heard about Barrett. I just didn't really care. And when the camera's were rolling in front of the door of my Islam lecture hall, I didn't connect the dots. I thought it was some university advertising or something.

But when I sat down, I was informed that this was THE guy and these were reporters lining the hall. I thought it was pretty exciting. Controversy excites me sometimes.

When I left class, this girl in front of me got pulled aside by a reporter with a camera and was given a microphone. I laughed- amiably- and she laughed a bit too. And then another reporter (who had this really sweet face and smile) pulled me aside, "I saw you laughing at that girl, so do you mind if I pick on you?" She asked me some questions and I answered quickly (she seemed in a hurry- you know- the whole reporter thing). By the time I left the Social Sciences building, I had thought of a million better things to say- things about how every professor enters the classroom with their own personal bias and how it's important as a student to recognize that and to seek what is true and real, under any professor, not just Barrett.

'oh well,' I thought, ' What I said was pretty lame, but at least they'll never use it.'

Except, they did.

Yeah, it's a bit lame, but my name is in the paper. And I kind of like that.

Read it here.

3 Comments:

At 07 September, 2006 22:10, Blogger â™¥briANNA said...

Au contraire, Miss Lindsey. I think that what you said to the reporter was wonderful!

 
At 08 September, 2006 18:28, Anonymous A. Gretchen said...

I thought your comment was great! Two cheers for getting in the paper by way of laughter! :)

 
At 09 September, 2006 10:15, Blogger riley said...

It will cause you to process your thoughts more clearly? What? You totally blew it! Like the world needs more of THAT! Ridiculous. I'm never reading this stupid blog again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home