mast2

Monday, September 11, 2006

it turns out autumn is amazing

my rainy window and yellow flower

I was really nervous about autumn. Really nervous.

And then Friday night the wind changed and it became rainy and cold. Sweaters were put on, jackets taken out, umbrellas, socks, shoes. The air smells different now. It's spicier, sharper, twists on the tongue a bit. This air does funny things to me. It hits my soul in this way that chrashes deep into my guts. It stirs me in a vivid, vivid way. It makes me feel alone. It makes me remember. It makes me want to cry. And I love it.

Especially at night I love it, when the cars splash down the street and the lights hit the rain. I want to take long long walks in that air. I want to drink it like coffee. It reminds me of so many sweet things. It reminds me of so many good walks I had in Romania. Walking home from class today, I could smell the pastries I would buy at the pink bakery in Constanta on cold days. They were very sticky- I could taste the sugar that I licked from my frozen fingers while I walked by the Sea in my red hat. Inspired, I bought a small strawberry turnover at a bakery by the capitol. It wasn't sticky and I was wearing a yellow hat, not a red one. But it was still pretty wonderful.

Saturday night, my friend and I went for a long walk late at night in that air. It was in a part of town I had never explored- the sweet roads and houses along the lake behind Jenifer Street. We stopped on a yellow-lit bridge because the moon came out from behind the clouds and looked just right on the water. I said that it reminded me of a Munch painting.

I love autumn. I love this chilled, rainy weather. I love listening to Badly Drawn boy in these grey days. I love the things it makes me remember. I love baking and making risgrynsgrøtt with cinnamon and vanilla. I love how it makes coffee taste. I love autumn. ♥

5 Comments:

At 11 September, 2006 17:39, Anonymous A. Gretchen said...

I loved reading "...when the cars splash down the street..." and seeing the picture of your window overlooking what I imagine to be the very street you were referring to..
I would love it, too! :)

 
At 11 September, 2006 17:55, Blogger keely steger said...

I'm glad to hear it's growing on you. It's a rad time of year. The best time of year, actually.

 
At 11 September, 2006 21:11, Blogger riley said...

Don't mean to rub it in, but I knew the amazing-autumn thing all along. Glad to hear you had such a good day.

 
At 12 September, 2006 05:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Autumn. It is a season that heightens my senses and makes me feel even more alive than usual. The colours, the smells and the crisp air, it all adds up to a pleasurable assault on the senses.

 
At 12 September, 2006 13:43, Anonymous Christine said...

Thanks for the fabulously poetic tribute to autumn! I love it too! And I'm excited to see a London autumn. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home