mast2

Saturday, July 08, 2006

its all over

studying at Fair Trade

This last Thursday, I officially finished my Africa class (AFRICAN 277 : Africa: Introductory Survey for you Madisonians). I loved it. There are about a bagillion (maybe even two bagillion) courses I want to take now in the African Studies department. The African Storyteller, Introduction to Yoruba Life and Culture, Swahili, Xhosa, African Poetry... And that's just the African Studies department. There are so many other wonderful, wonderful departments and classes and languages I want to sink my teeth into. Eastern Christianity/Russian Orthodoxy in a Global Context, Romani (Gypsy) Culture in Russia and East Europe, Russia Today in Literature and Film, Mythology of Scandinavia, Folklore Theory, French, Norwegian, Icelandic, The Icelandic Sagas, Literature in Translation: Dante's Divine Comedy, Religion in History and Culture: The East, The Medieval Church, Myth, Islam: Religion and Culture, Introduction to Indian Literatures....oh man, I could go on for a very VERY long time...

But I digress.

The point is, I loved my Africa

For example:

Recently, I found this really great radio station. I don't know what it is, I just know it is a very small number and is very local. I stumbled upon it while I was baking cookies and looking for some jazz. I found it there. An hour later, they were playing BBC news. This morning, I tuned in and it was reggae. We spent a bit of time in class studying Fela and Afro-beat. I began picking out the African influence like call and responce, etc, and thought some thoughts about the Rastafari movement and was glad to know that my education was going to such a good cause.

a couple other perks:
-I know a few pretty amazing African stories.
-I can point out Burkina Faso class and things I have learned come in handy every single day. on a map. Without hesitation.

8 Comments:

At 08 July, 2006 19:40, Blogger keely steger said...

During the first week of my Soc. of Africa class we had a map test, in which we had to correctly label each capital and country south of Egypt. I passed with flying colors but have since forgotten all those tiny little countries. Drat. I'm glad you're loving school!

 
At 09 July, 2006 06:02, Anonymous dad-o said...

....and your toes have become lovely, too!!!

 
At 10 July, 2006 12:32, Blogger Matthew said...

Ah yes, Africa, the dark continent. It has such a rich and tragic and wonderful and terrible history - such that it could make grown men weep.

 
At 10 July, 2006 18:18, Blogger Lindsey said...

I did cry a few times. :)

 
At 13 July, 2006 22:34, Blogger Sarah e.Smith said...

I am new to your blog and have enjoyed reading some of your posts....your photography is beautiful...i was wondering what kind of camera do you use? Looking forward to visiting again! Cheers!

 
At 14 July, 2006 10:08, Blogger Lindsey said...

Thank you very much, Sarah e.smith! always good to hear! I was just looking at your Flickr today (fantastic, by the way). My camera is an olympus something something...it's really not a super great camera at all, but, it has served me well enough.

 
At 12 August, 2006 05:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

 
At 17 August, 2006 10:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home